Straight Talk is a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) in the United States that is registered as a trademark of the great TracFone wireless. This particular carrier collaborates with both TracFone and Walmart to provide prepaid wireless services. Associating with TracFone makes this company so reliable as long as quality and nationwide coverage is concerned. Additionally, Straight Talk uses cellular towers from Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T to deliver services.
Besides, Straight Talk offers one of the latest models of phones and affordable plans with no contracts involved. This gives several customers the urge to join this incredible service provider. When joining straight talk, you don’t have to incur the cost of purchasing another phone. This is so because straight talk allows you to tag along with your old phone. The phone, however, must be compatible with Straight Talk network. In this article, we are going to give you detailed information regarding phones that are compatible with straight talk and other related ideas.
Is My Phone Compatible With Straight Talk
Bearing in mind that straight talk offers very efficient plans at affordable prices, most people may want to know whether they can switch to their services. Now, Straight Talk does offer bring your own phone program which allows you to bring over your handset to their services. For this to function effectively, your device must be compatible with their network.
The good news is that straight talk has made it so easy for customers to check out whether their phones are compatible with their network. This carrier goes out of its way to provide a compatibility checker tool on its website. Therefore, if you want to ascertain whether your handset is compatible or not, you only need to visit their website and check.
Besides their website, you can also check to confirm whether your phone is compatible with Straight Talk by texting the word KYOP to 611611 using your handset.
Straight Talk Compatibility Process
As aforementioned, you can check straight talk compatibility through their website. This process is usually very simple and concise just as illustrated below:
- Step 1– Go to your browser and log into Straight Talk official website straighttalk.com/whyst/keep-your-own-phone
- Step 2– Once you are in, go to the menu bar and select the option that says bring your own phone.
- Step 2– After you get to this new page, go to the “select check compatibility option” and click on it.
- Step 3– This new page will then provide you with two options. Here, you are required to choose one of the option based on what you want. At this stage, go ahead and select I have an unlocked GSM device.
- Step 4– Here they will provide you with a set of instructions to follow and know whether your phone is compatible or not. Note that these instructions may vary depending on how you answer their previous question. The process is just as simple as that.
List Of Straight Talk Compatible Phones
Straight talk is compatible with a large variety of devices both Android and iOS. Below is a brief outline of various phones compatible with Straight Talk wireless.
Straight talk compatible iPhones
- Apple iPhone 7
- Apple iPhone XR
- Apple iPhone XS max
- Apple iPhone X
- Apple iPhone 8
- Apple iPhone 8 plus
- Apple iPhone 11
- Apple iPhone 6s
- Apple iPhone 11 pro max
- Apple iPhone SE
- Apple iPhone 5
- Apple iPhone 7 plus
- Apple iPhone 6.
- Apple iPhone XS
- Apple iPhone 11 Pro
Straight talk compatible android phones
- Oneplus 6
- Motorola Moto E5
- Oneplus 5
- Motorola Moto E6
- Lenovo G5 plus
- Nokia Lumia 800
- Lg stylo 3
- Samsung galaxy note 9
- Samsung galaxy note 10
- Samsung galaxy a50
- Samsung galaxy s10e
- Oneplus 7
- Samsung galaxy s8+
- Lg stylo 5 LTE.
- Samsung galaxy s9+
- Samsung galaxy a50
- Samsung galaxy s20 5G
- Samsung galaxy s10
- Samsung galaxy s8
- Samsung galaxy s10+
- HTC Inspire 4G
- Huawei Honor 7X
- HTC 10
- HTC One M9
- HTC One M8
- Samsung galaxy note8
- Samsung galaxy s20 ultra 5G
- Samsung galaxy a20
- Huawei P9
- Huawei P20
- Huawei P30
- Samsung Galaxy J2
- Samsung Galaxy S7
- Huawei Honor 6x
Straight talk compatible google phones
- Google Pixel 4
- Google nexus one
- Google Pixel 3
- Google nexus one
- Google nexus s
- Google Nexus 6
- Google pixel 2xl
- Google nexus 5x
- Google Nexus 6p
How Do I Activate Straight Talk Compatible Devices?
The very first step of activating your compatible device is by first ensuring that it’s not locked to any carrier. From there, you can now start your activation process. To activate your Straight Talk compatible device, you need to follow the following procedure.
- Go to Straight Talk’s official website straighttalk.com/activation
- After that, click on the option that says Straight Talk new phone. Then select the option do you want a new phone.
- After that, select the next option which is “do you want to use a physical SIM or the embedded SIM”.
- From there, ensure you type your digital SIM IMEI and then click the continue button. If you don’t know your phones IMEI number, go to settings app of your phone, then open about device followed by status
- Once you submit your IMEI number and submit, your device will be activated within a couple of minutes.
What Carriers Work With Straight Talk?
Just like most Mobile virtual Network Operators, Straight Talk does not rely on their own network towers because it is operated virtually with no physical infrastructures. Straight talk however, doesn’t rely on one network tower as it is with many MVNOs. Instead, this carrier works with more than one network towers which makes its connection more reliable. To be more precise, straight talk relies on Tracfone which is equally an MVNO. Being a virtual network operator, TracFone works with major carriers such as T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon. This makes straight talk compatible with AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon as well.
Is Straight Talk GSM or CDMA?
As already seen above, Straight Talk does not have its own wireless network and uses towers from AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. Since T-Mobile is GSM enabled while ATT and Verizon are CDMA enabled, this makes straight talk compatible with both CDMA and GSM.
However, if you want to know whether your handset uses either CDMA or GSM, you can easily do so. All you need to do is to check whether it has a MEID number or IMEI number. If your device has a MEID number, it uses CDMA. On the other hand, if it has IMEI number then it uses GSM. In case your Straight Talk device happens to have both numbers, then it means that it is compatible with both CDMA and GSM.
Can I Use Any Carrier Phone With Straight Talk?
Straight Talk works very well with most networks especially it supports both CDMA and GSM. However, it isn’t possible to use straight talk with just any other carrier because straight talk devices are always locked. Therefore, you should first unlock your straight talk device before using it with any other carrier.
Can I Use A Verizon Phone With A Straight Talk Plan?
Just as mentioned earlier on in this article, Straight Talk depends on Verizon network towers to deliver services. This makes Verizon devices compatible with straight talk services. Therefore, it is possible to use a Verizon phone with straight talk. As long as your Verizon phone is not locked, you will be good to go.
How Do I Transfer My Verizon Phone To Straight Talk?
- First and foremost, you need to ensure that your Verizon handset is carrier unlocked. This is usually quite simple as Verizon usually unlocks most devices 60 days after they were bought. However, if you are doing this process before the 60 days are over, you will be charged an early termination fee. In case you have any pending arrears from Verizon, you will have to clear them as well. Also, ensure you cancel your Verizon phone insurance if at all you had one.
- From there, you can now port your phone to Straight Talk. Here, you should simply ask for a new number or even request to keep your old number if you want.
- To do so, visit this page straighttalk.com/activation and select activate my phone with a number transferred from another company.
- Once you do that, provide the number that you want to transfer. If you want a new number, you can skip this step
- Here, you will be prompt you to enter your zip code to check if Straight Talk services are available in your area.
- From there you can go ahead and activate your SIM. If you need a new number with straight talk, just click on the “Don’t have a SIM option.
- Select the Verizon SIM kit and add it to your cart. Once you do that, choose any Straight Talk plan of your choice and then log out.
- After a few days you will receive your new SIM card kit.
- From your phone, remove the older SIM card and replace it with the new one. From there you will now proceed to activate your SIM with straight talk.
Can I Use A Locked AT&T Phone On Straight Talk?
If the phone is locked to the carrier, this will be very difficult to use with Straight Talk. This is literally the case because the device is programmed to work with AT&T alone. Therefore, you need to ensure that it’s unlocked from its current carrier first for it to work with straight talk.
Will A Tracfone Work With Straight Talk?
You already know that straight talk is powered by TracFone. This makes these two service providers compatible. As long as your tracfone device is unlocked, it will easily work with Straight Talk.
Is Straight Talk Switching To 5G?
Straight Talk allows subscribers to choose whatever plan they want including 4G plans and 5G plans without incurring any extra costs. However, the 5G plans are usually a bit faster compared to the 4G plans. Therefore, chances are that straight talk might end up to fully embrace 5G in the near future.
Can You Unlock A Straight Talk Phone Yourself?
It is possible to unlock your Straight Talk phone yourself. To do this process entirely by your own, you basically need to have an unlock code. However, there are certain eligibility requirements you need to meet before you can acquire one. To know these requirements, you can simply visit Straight Talk official website where they are all displayed.
If at all you meet all the necessary eligibility requirements, you can now go ahead and follow the process outlined above to obtain the unlock code.
- First off, you have to contact Straight Talk customer service at 877-430-2355. You can do this any day provided it’s between 8.00 am and 11.45 pm.
- From there, you can go ahead and request for the unlock code.
- Once you make your request, the agent will do a thorough check to ensure that you have met all the necessary requirements.
- If at all you are eligible, this agent will then forward the unlock code. Use the code and unlock your straight talk phone yourself.
Can I Use A Straight Talk Phone With T-Mobile?
You can use your straight talk device with T-Mobile. This is because both carriers use GSM network and are thus compatible with each other. To use your straight talk phone with T-Mobile, you need to ensure that your handset is not locked to T-Mobile.
Can I Put My Straight Talk SIM Card In Another Phone?
You can move your current Straight Talk SIM card to another device. However, before you do so, ensure that this phone is carrier unlocked. The phone should also be compatible with Straight Talk network. After that, install your straight talk SIM card to the other phone and activate it for use.