T-Mobile is known for its dominance in 5G network coverage across the United States. It has the most extensive 5G coverage across the country compared to the other three carriers. Besides, it provides 4G LTE network coverage; however, it is third in coverage countrywide after Verizon and AT&T carry. The difference between T-Mobile and the carrier ahead of it is 6%. It is 8% behind the highest 4G LTE carrier, which is AT&T. however, T-Mobile coverage is more extensive in urban areas than in rural areas.
The map clearly shows that half of the eastern part of the US benefits from the T-Mobile network. However, other places have light coverage of T-Mobile service, like the Appalachians. Additionally, there is minimal coverage for the people who live in the West Coast region. Do you want to know whether your area has T-Mobile 4G LTE and 5G coverage? In this tutorial, we will dig into areas that the T-Mobile network covers. We will also show you how to check if your area has T-Mobile network services, among other information. Keep reading!
Is T-Mobile CDMA or GSM?
T-Mobile uses GSM technology, also known as Global System for Mobile Communication, to offer services. Most carriers that provide wireless services to customers usually use GSM technology.
How Do I Check T-Mobile Coverage In My Area
T-Mobile has moderate coverage for 4G and leads in 5G network coverage. Are you wondering how to check the availability of the T-Mobile network in your area? Worry no more. Here is a procedure that will guide you to check its coverage.
- Open t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map on your preferred browser. Some of the browsers that you can use are Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Explorer.
- After the page loads, you will see a field where you are required to enter your ZIP code. Ensure you provide the correct ZIP code to get accurate information about T-Mobile coverage. Besides, you can also see which states T-Mobile are covered, which are indicated in a Magenta color even without entering the ZIP code.
How Accurate Is The T-Mobile Coverage Map?
T-Mobile has the most extensive 5G coverage of 41.38% across the country. However, it is third in 4G LTE coverage with 62% after Verizon and AT&T. The coverage calculations on the map are approximations. When you compare the data provided on the map with the actual coverage data, you may notice a variation though not significant.
It’s important to mention that the results you see on the maps are from the high-level approximation that can be affected by several factors. Some of these factors include the terrain, weather, buildings, and the gadget you are using. Additionally, other areas get networks from affiliated carriers, which may terminate their contract resulting in inaccurate data representation.
How Can T-Mobile Coverage Compare In 2022?
Here is the comparison between T-Mobile and other providers.
T-Mobile 4G LTE Network
T-Mobile 4G LTE is ranked third after Verizon and AT&T carriers. It is behind AT&T and Verizon by 8% and 6%, respectively. This has been affected by T-Mobile not focusing primarily on the rural area across the country. T-Mobile focuses on the urban area network coverage because of the high population hence more customers. Here is the breakdown of the coverage compared to other main carriers:
- Verizon is leading with 70% of 4G LTE coverage.
- AT&T follows with 68% of 4G LTE coverage.
- T-Mobile is third with 62% of LTE coverage.
T-Mobile 5G Network
T-Mobile has the largest 5G coverage compared to Verizon and AT&T carriers. It has grown by 4.6% in the past months and is still expanding its coverage to reach more places. Here is the breakdown of the coverage of the 5G compared to other carriers:
- T-Mobile has 41.35% of 5G coverage.
- AT&T has 18.11 of 5G coverage.
- Verizon has 11.08 of 5G coverage.
Which States T-Mobile Has The Best Coverage?
T-Mobile has the best 5G coverage to cities than the other carriers. Here is the coverage according to the states on 4G LTE and 5G networks.
4G LTE coverage Leading states
T-Mobile has a 4G LTE coverage of 62% of the United States. The coverage is not uniform across all the cities as you will have some cities with large coverage than others. Here is the breakdown of the state with the highest 4G LTE coverage in the country.
|States||Percentage coverage (%)|
Leading states in terms of 5G coverage
T-Mobile has the best coverage across the country, with 41.35% coverage. Here is the breakdown of the leading cities in terms of 5G coverage:
|States||Percentage coverage (%)|
Where Does T-Mobile Not Have Coverage In The US?
T-Mobile does not have a wide 3G and 4G coverage in rural areas across the country. They have been keen on the highly populated area leaving out low populated areas hence minimal coverage. These are areas that have less than half of the T-Mobile networks. Alaska does not have T-Mobile network coverage which is a disadvantage to the residents in that state.
T-Mobile Vs Verizon Coverage Map
Verizon has been providing the largest 4G LTE coverage in the country. T-Mobile also offers good 4G LTE coverage with only a difference of 8% between the two carriers.
When it comes to 5G coverage, T-Mobile covers 41% compared to Verizon’s network covering 11% of the whole country. This is an advantage to T-Mobile users who enjoys fast 5G network speeds. T-Mobile offers low and mid 5G bands that facilitate fast speeds, while Verizon offers mid and high bands.
|Verizon percentage coverage.||T-Mobile percentage coverage.|
T-Mobile Vs AT&T Coverage Map
T-Mobile leads in the 5G coverage across the country. The only strength AT&T has over T-Mobile is a good 4G LTE network coverage. AT&T provides 18% coverage of the 5G network, while T-Mobile leads with 41% 5G coverage across the nation. As mentioned above, T-Mobile has good urban coverage but poor rural coverage in both 4G LTE and 5G networks. Regarding the 5G band, T-Mobile provides low-band and mid-band, while AT&T only provides mid-band.
|AT&T percentage coverage.||T-Mobile percentage coverage.|
T-Mobile Vs Sprint Coverage Map
As mentioned, T-Mobile 4G LTE covers 62% of the country, higher than the 30% of Sprint. Besides, T-Mobile leads the 5G coverage with 41% of the entire country. On the other hand, Sprint provides 5G network services; however, its rollout is very minimal, thus lowering its contribution to the 5G coverage map.
Is T-Mobile Network Reliable?
Yes, T-Mobile is a reliable network compared to other networks. According to reports, T-Mobile is the leading carrier with the highest coverage of the 5G network across the country. It has a 5G coverage of 41.35% and 62% 4G LTE coverage across the country. T-Mobile comes third in the 4G coverage after AT&T and Verizon, which have coverage of 68% and 70%, respectively. Here are the strengths and weaknesses of T-Mobile:
- It has good coverage in the cities.
- It has a moderate 4G LTE coverage in rural coverage of 62%.
- It has affordable unlimited plans when compared with AT&T plans.
- It has the largest 5G network coverage.
- It has a fast data speed because of the 5G network.
- Some places do not have coverage.
- It has only 21% coverage for the 3G networks.
How Can I Check Which Network Is Best In My Area?
There are three methods that you can use to determine the best network that is available in your area.
- You can use the carrier coverage map to check the availability of the carrier. For instance, if you are looking for T-Mobile coverage, use the URL t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map to check the coverage. Make sure you have the correct ZIP code of the state you live.
- The second option is to contact the customer service of your preferred carrier to inquire if their services are available in your area. If you prefer this method, kindly get the contacts of the carriers on the official page.
- The last method to check which network is best in your area is using third-party applications. These applications use data from users to show the towers available in your area. Some of the applications include OpenSignal and CellMapper.net.
Do AT&T And T-Mobile Use The Same Towers?
Yes, T-Mobile uses AT&T network towers, although it is not in all places. It depends on the location T-Mobile wants to offer services. As mentioned above, both T-Mobile uses GSM technology, and so is AT&T. This means that the two can share network towers. In some scenarios, it is more cost-effective for a telecom carrier to lease a tower than buying.
Does T-Mobile Still Have 3G And 4G Coverage?
T-Mobile offers 4G LTE coverage across the country, occupying about 62% of the country. Unfortunately, they phased off their 3G network operation on 1 July 2022. This means that those who use 3G phones are unable to access network services from T-Mobile. However, the 4G network services are still available.
How Do I Update My T-Mobile Cell Phone Towers?
Cell phones usually update the cell phone towers in the background if you have internet access. However, you cannot be guaranteed that your phone will run automatic tower updates. You can manually update towers if your T-Mobile cell phone starts losing the signal. There are three basic methods to update your cell phone. They include:
1. Turn your network off and back on
This applies to both iPhone and Android phones. You will only need to tap on the “Airplane” icon on your phone to turn it on and off. This simple method will enable your phone to reconnect to the network.
2. Download and update the carrier
The other method you can use to update your T-Mobile cell phone towers is downloading the carrier updates. Here is a procedure that you can follow for both Android and iPhone.
- Locate the “Wi-Fi” icon and tap to turn it on. You can find it on your iPhone Control Center
- Proceed to your home screen and locate the “Settings” icon. Once it opens, scroll until you get the “General” option and tap on it.
- Look for the “About” option and tap. Click the “Install” option to install the carrier update on your iPhone. Note that this will be installed only if a T-Mobile carrier update is available.
You can update your T-Mobile carrier towers on your Android by updating the phone to the latest Android OS. Here is the procedure for running the update.
- Open your phone, go to the “Settings” app, and then tap “About device.”
- Scroll down to see the “Software Update” and tap on it.
- Your phone will search for the available Android update and display the status. If it is updated, you will not need to update it. Otherwise, you will have to click on the “Install” option to run the available update. Wait for the downloaded update to install on your phone. Your device runs on the latest OS version, and the T-Mobile towers have been updated.
3. Restarting the phone
The other method to update your T-Mobile phone towers is by restarting your cell phone. If the restarting does not work, you can switch off your phone, wait for a few minutes, and turn it on. Here is the procedure on how to go about it.
- Switch off your T-Mobile phone.
- Remove the SIM card that you are using.
- Wait for about 2 minutes or more.
- Insert back your SIM card and then switch on the phone.
- Your phone will perform a T-Mobile tower update automatically, and you will be able to resolve the connectivity problem.
Is 5G Better Than 4G LTE?
Yes, 5G has lower latency than LTE networks. This makes it to be stronger and faster than the LTE network. The primary goal for 5G is to reduce the downloading speed to 4 milliseconds for those using phone devices. They also intend to reduce the download speed for self-driving devices to one millisecond. The network speeds for 5G are three times LTE, making it better.
What Phones Will Not Work In 2023, T-Mobile?
The main goal for T-Mobile is to give customers network connectivity that is more reliable and faster. To achieve that, T-Mobile announced that Sprint’s 3G and 4G LTE would be shut down and move the affected people to modern broadband. After January 1, 2022, customers using the Sprint 3G network will not be able to access services. This escalated to 4G LTE, which shut down on June 30, 2022. So, if you use one of these phones from T-Mobile, you cannot access T-Mobile services.