Would you like to use your Boost Mobile with other service providers? Unlocking your device should top the list of your priorities. Just like other carriers, Boost Mobile usually locks its devices for a certain period of time so that it can retain its esteemed customers. After all, the last thing any carrier would like to do is to lose its customers to other competitive service providers. Although boost mobile allows you to unlock your phone easily, there are certain requirements that you ought to meet.
To unlock your boost mobile phone, you must be an active Boost Mobile customer for one year or have a Boost Mobile account that has good standing. Once you meet these requirements, you can use a MSL code to unlock your boost mobile phone and use it with another carrier. After realizing that most users would like to know how to unlock Boost Mobile phones with MSL code, we came up with this comprehensive guide to help you get started.
Are Boost Mobile Phones Locked?
Yes. As we mentioned above, Boost Mobile usually lock their devices. In most cases, this carrier locks its devices so that it can retain its customers for longer periods. For instance, you have to be this carrier’s customer for a period of about 12 months for your device to be unlocked. This way, you will not consider other carrier services until this period lapses.
Therefore, if you propose to purchase a model from this carrier, know that you will not utilize it with other carrier services until you unlock it first. Thankfully, the process of unlocking your Boost Mobile is not complicated. In the section below, we have discussed how you can unlock your device with MSL code and be able to use it on other carriers’ networks.
How Can I Tell That My Boost Mobile Phone Is Locked?
Currently, it’s very easy to tell whether your Boost Mobile phone is locked or not. Following the following tricks will help you tell whether your boost mobile phone is locked or not.
1. Check the number of networks that are available on your phone
One of the easiest ways to tell whether your Boost Mobile phone is locked or not is to check the number of available networks your device can recognize at a go. To get started, go to the ‘Settings’ option and then tap on the ‘Connections and networks options.
Choose the ‘Mobile Network’, ‘Networks’ or ‘Cellular Networks’ option. Depending on the model that you are using, these options might vary. Once you choose either of these option, choose the ‘Network Operators’ option.
After tapping on the ‘Network Operators’ option, you will be able to see the number of networks that your device can recognize at that moment. In case you come across a number of networks on your phone’s screen, chances are that your Boost Mobile phone is unlocked. However, if you only come across only one result, be sure that your phone is locked. As a result, you need to unlock it for you to use on other carrier networks.
2. Insert a new SIM card
Besides the method that we have discussed above, you can now determine if your Boost Mobile is locked or not by inserting a new SIM card from a different carrier. Here, you should remove the Boost Mobile’s SIM card and then insert another SIM card from a different service provider such as Qlink Wireless, Assurance Wireless, Easy Wireless, T-Mobile or AT&T.
After inserting the new SIM card, try to make calls or even sending text messages. In case your phone is able to make calls or send text messages using the SIM card’s carrier network, chances are that your device is unlocked.
However, if you cannot place a call, your device is locked. Additionally, you might be able to receive a message showing that your device is locked. Consequently, your device needs to be unlocked for you to use it with another carrier’s SIM card.
Can I Unlock My Boost Mobile Phone? Any Requirements?
Yes. As we speak, all Boost Mobile phones that were released after February 2015 can now be unlocked seamlessly. However, you need to meet a number of requirements for you to unlock your Boost Mobile device. Some of the requirements include:
- You must have utilized your Boost Mobile device for the last 1 year or 12 months.
- Your device should not have been reported as stolen or lost
- Your device should be capable of a SIM unlock. This means that your device should have been produced after February 2015.
- Your Boost Mobile account should be in good standing. Additionally, your account should be active.
- You should ensure that you made a payment within the last 90 days of the 12-month activation anniversary.
- You device should not have been flagged for any reason. For instance, it should not be ineligible to be unlocked.
In case you are serving in the military, your Boost Mobile phone can be unlocked even before the 12 months has lapsed. However, you should provide a proof that you have been deployed to work in the military service. Additionally, you should ensure that you meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Ensure that you are a current customer of this carrier.
- Ensure that your account has a good standing. This means that your account should not have pending bills.
- Ensure that you have a device that is capable of an international SIM unlock
Unlike other individuals, those who work in the military and their qualifying dependents can qualify to unlock 2 devices within a period of 12 months.
What Is MSL Code Unlocking?
MSL refers to Master Subsidy Lock. Simply put, this is a password or a numeric code that prevents a user from accessing certain settings of the phone. In fact, this code prevents the phone from being reprogrammed to work with another carrier.
Please note that MSL code unlocking usually works on CDMA phones. Basically, these are phones that were produced before February 2015.Once you request for the MSL code, you will be able to unlock your Boost Mobile device, thereby be able to utilize it with other carriers. However, since most of the devices that need the MSL code for them to be unlocked are CDMA phones, be sure that they will be more compatible with carriers that rely on CDMA technology.
How To Unlock Boost Mobile With MSL Code?
If you are a current Boost Mobile customer, and meet all the eligibility criteria mentioned above, be sure that you can now request the MSL code and unlock your device. Here are the steps that can help you get started:
- Contact the Boost Mobile customer service by dialing 1-833-502-6678 or 1-833-50-BOOST.
- Once you reach out to this carrier’s customer support agent on the other end, tell him or her that you want to unlock your device. Since you want to use the MSL code to unlock your device, request it right away. For you to obtain this code, you will need to provide vital details such as your phone’s serial number and your phone number.
- The agent on the other end will verify the details that you have submitted and give you the code.
- After obtaining the code, enter it on your device and you will be good to go.
If you are a BoostUP installment plan customer, the unlocking process should not take more than 24 hours. However, if you do not belong to that category, the process might take up to 48 hours.
Are There Other Considerations To Make Once I Request My Boost Mobile To Be Unlocked?
To ensure that the entire process goes as smoothly as possible, ensure that you consider the following ideas:
- To start with, ensure that your phone has enough charge
- Ensure that your Boost Mobile SIM card remains in your phone. Removing it might corrupt the whole process.
- Ensure that your device is switched on and is connected to the Boost Mobile network. Better still, ensure that it is connected to a Wi-Fi network throughout the entire process.
Benefits Of Unlocking Your Boost Mobile Phone
After you successfully unlock your boost mobile phone, there are a number of benefits that you are likely to enjoy. Here is an example of benefits that are associated with unlocking your boost mobile phone:
- It allows you to use other carriers’ networks. Some of the carriers that you can consider include Qlink Wireless. Easy Wireless, Assurance Wireless, AirTalk Wireless, Cintex Wireless, AT&T, T-Mobile, among others. Such is ideal if you are in an area where Boost Mobile has a poor network coverage.
- It allows you to save more bucks as you will be able to enjoy the plans of other carriers. This will go a long way in enabling you to get value for your hard-earned money.
- It allows you to sell your phone at a relatively higher price. After all, your device will not be tied to Boost Mobile network again. The seller here will have the luxury to use it with other carriers that he or she please.
Does it cost anything to unlock my Boost Mobile phone?
Not really. In fact, if you qualify for this carrier’s unlocking service, you will not have to part with a dime. This is because Boost Mobile allows its customers to unlock their devices free of charge as long as they meet the much-needed unlocking eligibility requirements. However, if you choose to rely on 3rd party solutions, brace yourself to part with a few dollars for this service.
How can I tell that my Boost Mobile phone has been unlocked?
One way to tell whether your device has been unlocked is to insert a SIM card from another carrier. Thereafter, try to make a call or send a text message. If you are able to conduct all these activities successfully, your device has been unlocked. However, if you cannot make a call or text using the new SIM card, be certain that your device is still locked.
Additionally, you can try to search for the networks available on your device. In case you come across an array of networks, it shows that your device is unlocked. On the other hand, if you only find one network, your device is locked.
I am a former Boost Mobile customer or was never a Boost Mobile customer but I have purchased a Boost Mobile device from a third party other than Boost Mobile. Can I have the device unlocked or receive the MSL code?
Yes. As long as you provide your Boost Mobile phone number or account number that is associated with the device, be certain that you will be able to receive the MSL code. Additionally, your device has to be eligible to get unlocked by this carrier. In case your device is not eligible, you might have to ask the original purchaser to pay any pending bills so that your device can be unlocked.
To be on the safe side, there is a need for you to contact this carrier before purchasing a Boost Mobile device from another person. This way, you will be able to tell whether your device is eligible to get unlocked or not and make an appropriate decision moving forward.
Will Boost Mobile notify me when my device is eligible to be unlocked?
Not really. Instead, this carrier opts to post its unlocking procedures and policies online. If you have met this service provider’s unlocking service eligibility requirements, feel free to dial 1-833-502-6678 and request for an MSL code. Once you get these code, be sure that you can now go ahead and unlock your Boost Mobile phone.
Can I use my Boost Mobile phone with a different network after it is unlocked?
Yes. Once you unlock your Boost Mobile phone, you are free to use it on another carrier’s network. However, your carrier of choice has to offer the Bring Your Own Phone program to all its customers. Additionally, your device has to be compatible with its network.