Assurance Wireless is a cell phone service provider operating under T-Mobile since 2009 when it was founded. It is known for offering subsidized telephone services under ACP & Lifeline Assistance, government programs that help low-income US residents. If you are eligible for this program, you get a free phone, data, unlimited talk, and unlimited text from Assurance Wireless. To be eligible, you must be from a low-income household or participate in a government assistance program, like Medicaid, SNAP, and others.
You must register and activate your phone immediately after receiving it to start using the free services by Assurance Wireless. However, many complaints regarding the Assurance Wireless activation have been obtained from many users across the country. Some of the problems result from network coverage; if your area does not have an Assurance Wireless network, you will not activate your phone. Are you facing activation problems with your Assurance Wireless phone? This tutorial is going to break down the reasons why you are running into Assurance Wireless activation problems. Besides, we will tell you how you can fix these activation problems and start using the Assurance wireless services, among other related issues. Let us now look at some factors contributing to Assurance Wireless activation problems.
What Are The Reasons For Assurance Wireless Activation Problems?
Have you completed activating your Assurance Wireless phone, and are you still having activation problems? Well, do not panic; we go got you. There are several reasons why your phone might not be accessing Assurance Wireless services even after activating it. Here are the reasons, some of which might be common to you;
- Your area does not have Assurance Wireless network coverage: Assurance Wireless runs on T-Mobile network towers to offer services to its users across the United States. According to statistics, T-Mobile has network coverage across the country, meaning that in all areas where T-Mobile has network coverage, Assurance Wireless services can be utilized. However, T-Mobile does not have 100% national coverage, and some areas have poor or no network coverage. So, if you reside in such areas with no network coverage, you will likely have problems activating your phone.
- Issues with your phone device: One critical factor that leads to your phone activation process developing issues is its compatibility with Assurance Wireless. If your phone is incompatible with the Assurance Wireless network, it will not activate successfully. Also, your phone might develop problems when you are activating it, leading to network connectivity failure. Once there is a network disconnect, the activation process will not be completed. Fortunately, such minor glitches can be rectified by a minor troubleshooting process, like restarting the phone.
- Inactive plan and phone: After receiving your free phone from the Assurance Wireless Lifeline program, you must activate the phone before you use it. Unfortunately, you will not be allowed to use your phone immediately after unboxing without activating it. So, after you activate the phone, you are not supposed to switch off the phone for a period of 30 days consecutively. Switching off your phone will lead to the cancellation of your services by Assurance Wireless. This means that the next time you switch on your phone, you will be prompted to reactivate it before you start using the services.
- Using the wrong procedure to activate: Did you use the correct procedure when activating your phone? Following the wrong activation procedure will lead you to an unsuccessful activation process. Ensure that you follow the correct step-by-step procedure described on the Assurance Wireless website to activate your phone successfully. Besides, you can contact their customer service desk at 1-888-321-5880 to guide you in case you lead to problems.
- Uncertified Assurance Lifeline account: Assurance Wireless requires every user to recertify that their household qualifies for the Lifeline program every year. Assurance Wireless will always contact you some days before the deadline date to remind you. If you fail to resubmit the eligibility documents for that year, your phone will likely prompt you to activate it. So, ensure you provide eligibility documents every year to confirm that you still qualify for the Assurance Lifeline program.
Ways To Fix The Assurance Wireless Activation Problem
Now that you know the causes of the Assurance Wireless activation problems, let us look at how you can solve them. Kindly note that some of these solutions may require you to have some technical knowledge of mobile phone handling if you cannot follow the procedure keenly, kindly as for support from an expert. Kindly follow the guidelines as outlined in each solution, and you will have a successful phone activation process.
1. Checking for Assurance Wireless network coverage
Before applying for the Assurance Wireless free phone under Lifeline, you must confirm if their network is available in your area. Once you get a phone and no network coverage in your area, you cannot activate it. One way to confirm your location network coverage is by calling the Assurance Wireless customer service and inquiring. You can also visit their website at assurancewireless.com/lifeline-services/check-availability and provide your correct ZIP code to confirm if your area has Assurance Wireless network coverage. After entering your correct, the map will analyze and give you a report of whether your area has an Assurance Wireless networker not.
2. Repeat the activation process
Your phone may fail to activate even after following the correct procedure forcing you to repeat the activation process. Here is a procedure to activate your phone if the first trial fails. Kindly ensure that the phone is fully charged before you begin the process.
- Press the power button for some seconds to switch it on.
- You will need to enable “Hands-Free” activation to allow the phone to connect to the Assurance Wireless network.
- Next, allow your phone to look for any available updates. If available, you will also see an option to update the phone’s firmware to the latest version. If, by any chance, a new firmware version is available, kindly follow the instruction as prompted on your screen to complete the firmware updating process.
- After successful updates, your device will turn off, or else you will be required to reboot if it does not switch off for the updates to take effect.
- Next, follow the on-screen prompts to customize your phone settings.
- Call 611 and follow the instructions given to activate your phone.
- Enter your activation PIN as indicated on your Assurance Wireless approval letter to complete the process.
3. Get a replacement phone
If your phone has failed to activate, Assurance Wireless allows you to replace it under the one-year warranty policy placed on the phone. If your phone is within the warranty period, kindly call customer service at 888-321-5880 and ask for a replacement. Besides, you can request a new phone if the phone’s warranty by Assurance Wireless has expired.
4. Clear your device cache
Clearing your phone’s caches not only improves your phone’s performance but can also be used to solve some of the minor issues in your phone. This process can help you resolve your phone when it fails to activate. Here is a simple procedure that can help you clear the cache
- Switch on your device while holding the “Volume Down” and “Power” buttons at the same time.
- Once you see a logo, release the “Power” button as you hold the “Volume” button.
- A System Recovery page will appear where you will be required to select the “Wipe Cache Partition” option using the “Volume” button.
- Using your “Power” button, select the option by pressing the button. All the phone cache will be cleared, and the phone will power on. Once the phone powers on, the activation problem must have been resolved if it has not, let us proceed to the next method.
5. Reset the Assurance Wireless phone
Resetting your phone is another effective method that you can use to resolve the activation problem, but your data will be lost. If you have important data, you need to back it up before starting the resetting process. After resetting your Assurance Wireless phone, it will revert to the default settings, where you will have to configure it like a new phone. Kindly note that your phone must be fully charged before you start this process. There are two ways of factory resetting your Assurance Wireless phone.
- Go to your home screen, locate the “Settings” app, and tap it.
- Scroll down until you find the “System” option and tap on it.
- Once the new screen opens, look for the “Advanced” option and tap on it.
- Select “Reset Options” followed by the “Erase All Data” option to perform a factory reset on your phone.
- Select the “Reset Phone” option and the “Erase Everything” option.
- You will be prompted to enter your phone or PIN to initiate the process.
- Now, wait for some minutes once the resetting process starts for the process to complete.
- Switch off your Assurance Wireless phone if it is on.
- Switch on your phone while holding the “Power” and “Volume Down” buttons at the same time.
- Once your phone’s logo appears, release the power button and allow the phone to switch on.
- A “System Recovery” screen will appear.
- Now, using the “Volume” button, scroll down to select the “Recovery Mode” option using the “Power” button.
- Again, scroll and select the “Wipe Cache Partition” option and then select this option using the “Power” button.
- The process will return you to the previous screen, where you will be required to select “Wipe Data” or “Factory Reset,” depending on the phone model.
- Use the “Power” to confirm by selecting the “Yes” option.
- Your phone is ready to reboot, so select the “Reboot System Now” option and wait for it to reboot. Your Assurance Wireless phone has successfully rebooted, so you can now activate it afresh.
6. Power cycle your phone
This process is important when solving minor issues affecting your Assurance Wireless device. Unlike the factory resetting method, the power cycle does not lead to data loss, making it the better alternative. Here is the procedure to power cycle your phone
- Power off your Assurance Wireless phone and remove its battery.
- Keep the phone off for some minutes, replace the battery, and power on the phone.
- Your phone will reboot, so give it some minutes. Once it is through, call and confirm if the phone was activated successfully.
7. Contact Assurance Wireless Customer service
This is the last option if all the above methods have not solved your problem. Assurance Wireless has set up a reliable customer service desk to support you in case you have a problem with activation or other issues. You can call them by dialing 611 if you are using their phone. Besides, you can call a toll-free number 1-888-321-5880 if you use another carrier’s line.
If you had a problem with your Assurance Wireless phone activation, try the solutions we have discussed above to solve your problem. Kindly note that reaching out for support from Assurance Wireless customer service will be more effective and help you solve the problem quickly.
Do I Need An Activation Code With Assurance Wireless?
No. You will not be required to provide an activation code to successfully complete the Assurance Wireless activation process. During the activation process, you will be required to have an Assurance Wireless account PIN to complete the process. You can obtain the PIN on the approval letter from Assurance Wireless when prompted to provide it.
Why Is My Assurance Wireless Phone Internet Not Working
Your Assurance Wireless phone will stop accessing the internet if there is a problem with your network connectivity. This can be resolved by restarting the network towers of your phone, which can be done by activating and deactivating the Airplane mode. Ensure there is an interval of like two minutes between the activation and deactivation process. You can find the Airplane mode button on the notification bar or your phone’s Settings app on the Network option. Besides, you can restart your phone if the airplane mode solution does not solve the problem. Lastly, if all the above processes are not working, try to reset the phone using one of the methods discussed above.
How Can I Contact Assurance Wireless In Case Of An Activation Problem?
Assurance Wireless has a reliable customer service desk ready to help in case you are experiencing difficulties activating your phone. Contacting customer services is regarded as one of the best actions you should take if you have problems, not only activation issues. There are two methods through which you can reach out to Assurance Wireless customer service.
First, you can mail them through the company’s address which is Assurance Wireless, P.O. Box 5040, Charleston, IL 61920-9907. You should only use this communication channel if your matter is not urgent because it may take more time before you get a response. If your matter is urgent, the best communication channel you are supposed to use is calling via phone. This way, you will be able to talk to the Assurance Wireless representative, who will be able to handle your case swiftly. You can call them via a toll-free number at 1-888-321-5880 without incurring charges. Kindly note that you may be asked for additional information depending on the complexity of your problem. So, preparing all the information the customer service representative may ask you in advance is good for smooth support.